Update (2/25) – Henceforth, I’m going to post most of my Season 8 rumblings and speculations on my other blog After The Hellmouth
Hopefully the last bit help establish the setting, now on to the new stuff. Here’s what we know about Season 8 of Buffy so far.
The Story (SPOILER WARNING)
- Whedon has stated that Season 8 takes place roughly a year later.
- The giant arc has to do with the ramifications of everything that happened in Season 7.
- Buffy leads 500 slayers that are divided into 10 groups. They also have several witches at their disposal.
- For her protection, Buffy has two slayer look-alikes. One is stationed in Italy and one is underground, literally.
- The US government views Buffy and her cohorts as a terrorist threat after the destruction of Sunnydale.
- Xander leads Slayer Central Command, which is located in Scotland in what appears to be an old castle.
- The Big Bad for the season is reported to be a returning cast member.
- Angel and Spike WILL appear but they will be used sparingly.
- Dawn is attending Berkley for college.
- Dawn loses her virginity after sleeping with a boy who is some type of demon or being known as a thricewise. As a result she grows to 60 feet.
- Anya is still dead, but dead in the Buffy universe is a term that should be taken lightly. Whedon has indicated she may turn up at some point, in some form or another.
- We learn that Buffy is not dating The Immortal, that was a scheme concocted by Andrew to throw Angel and Spike off her trail.
- It is likely that Riley Finn will return, possibly with his wife.
- Faith will also return in the second story arc for the comic.
- Readers can expect to see the demon and vampire communities’ reaction to the dramatic increase in the number of Slayers later in the series.
The technical aspects of Season 8:
- The season will run somewhere between 20-30 issues.
- Joss Whedon is writing the first four and the last four issues, but expect him to contribute more.
- For issue #1: Georges Jeanty (pencils), Andy Owens (inks), Dave Stewart (Colors), and Richard Starkings (Letters)
- Brian K. Vaughn is writing the second story arc.
- Jo Chen has done covers 1-3 and is currently working on 4.
- Expect to see several Mutant Enemy alums contributing to the writing of the series:
- Steven S. DeKnight
- Jane Espenson
- Drew Goddard
- Doug Petrie
- Drew Greenberg
- Jeph loeb (previously involved in producing the Buffy animated Series)
- Whedon also promised some comic book heavies to be making significant contributions to the series.
Official Episode Previews:
Episode 8.01: The Long Way Home Part 1
Since the destruction of the Hellmouth the Slayers — newly legion — have gotten organized and are kicking some serious undead butt. But not everything’s fun and firearms, as an old enemy reappears and Dawn experiences some serious growing pains . . .
Episode 8.02: The Long Way Home Part 2
The destruction of Buffy’s hometown, plus covert and powerful slayer “cells” around the world, add up to a new label for the Scoobies: Terrorist threat. Speaking of Sunnydale, the crater formerly known as, has opened to reveal the witch Amy, and boy is she pissed. Now: Giles, smoochies, a knife to the heart, and a big sleep. Season Eight continues.
Episode 8.03: Title Unknown
With Buffy incapacitated, Amy the witch has taken the opportunity to—get this—lay siege with an army of the undead. Willow takes her on in a witches’ battle royal as hundreds of Slayers defend their Scottish citadel, but without the kiss of true love, Buffy will be out of commission indefinitely—with an unwelcome familiar face, and an image you won’t soon forget.